While Google states that Social Media is not a ranking factor, Social Media can be used to improve search ranking and here is how.
The two most important search ranking factors are relevance and authority. You can improve relevance and authority with good Social Media Marketing Strategy and here are a few tips to get you started.
Tips to establish search relevance with Social Media.
Firstly a search engines purpose is to find the most suitable content available for the user. Google is far more capable of deciphering user intent now than ever and while keywords are still an important part of SEO, relevance can be calculated in many ways. To establish relevance for any set topic the key is good content.
- Optimise your social media profile with all of the relevant information about your business. Be sure to include a long description describing what you do and what your point of difference is. Include links to your website and other social media platforms where possible.
- Utilise long form content where possible both Facebook and LinkedIn provide great ways of sharing long form content. This means not just sharing a link but in fact writing your content directly on the social media platform.
- Share other industry leaders content too, as this establishes that you are up to date with current trends in your industry linking you again to relevant content.
Tips to establish search authority with Social Media.
Authority is a measure of how trustworthy or valuable a page is. One of Google’s strongest ranking factors for authority is the quantity and quality of inbound links to your site – Audiencebloom writes a great article explaining link building here. Secondly it looks to the technical performance and structure to establish if viewers will be happy with the experience when they get there. To further improve your search authority ranking.
- Share and encourage others to share your content on Social Media, establishing authority through increased traffic to that link.
- Connect and interact with people in your industry on social media. By contributing to their social media you are in fact creating links back to your own social media page and establishing authority. You are also in fact creating more online content that is attributed to your brand.
- Build brand awareness and in time authority by using targeted advertising on social media.