Increasing conversions through targeted website traffic

Your website conversion rate is the percentage of visitors who take a desired action. Depending on your type of business a conversion could be filling in a contact form or making a sale.

Your conversion rate depends on the interest level of the visitor, the attractiveness of your offer and the ease of the process.  To increase your conversion rate you must maximise the interest of your visitor by matching the right visitor to the right place at the right time.

To match your visitors ask yourself these questions:

1. Who are my converting customers?

What is the most common age, gender, location and interests of my converting customers?
Evaluate your Google Analytics Data, and your CRM data and/or conduct a customer survey to check your assumptions. Now clearly define your converting audience and continually ask yourself if your campaigns are reaching those people.

For more insights see:
> Kissmetrics Blog Using Google Analytics for Advanced Visitor Insights
> Neil Turners 10 questions to ask before any user research.

2. Which source of website traffic brings in my converting customers?

This might be You Tube, Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook or Blogging. Depending on the demographics that you defined in question one, your target market may be more likely to use and convert on a certain type of media.

Back up any assumptions you have with actual data by evaluating converting sources through Google Analytics data and/or customer survey. Remember you are only interested in the sources that bring the most converting customers, not just the sources that bring the most visitors.

Evaluate your conversion costs per source:
visitors / conversions (conversion rate)
cost / conversions (conversion cost).

> See also a Case Study: Which Source of Web Traffic Converts the Best? by Dan Norris

3. Which keywords do my converting customers use?

These are the words that your converting traffic are most likely to use in a search to find you. The best tool for evaluating keywords is Google Adwords. However if you are not using Google Adwords you can evaluate the keywords in Google Analytics.

Many adword accounts waste money on keywords which bring extra visitors but at a high cost to conversions. Carefully evaluate your cost per conversion – be careful, depending on how your conversion metrics are set up, this data can be misleading. I find that in many cases it is best to compare transaction statistics from Google Analytics with the cost in Google Adwords.

Jacob Baadsgaard states in his article on Are You Optimizing Your Site When You Should Be Optimizing Your Traffic?
“On average all conversions come from 6% of the keywords in your adwords account the other 94% produce no conversions.”

4. What content brings in converting customers?

Creating unique content that is useful to your website visitors is the first step in increasing traffic to your website. But when creating good content for your website you should consider who you are writing the content for and what action are you expecting them to take after they read it.

The content that you write should not be written with the jargon of your peers or potential competitors but instead should be easily understood by your actual customers. That is not to say that content written for your peers is useless, this type of content can help you reach your networking goals or gain accreditation or links from your sector which in turn will increase your search ranking and visitor numbers – but will not increase your sales.

When writing to increase sales consider your converting customers’ intent, what is likely to convince them to buy and what keywords are important to them.

Again back up your assumptions by checking your data to see which content on your website is bringing in converting customers and which content is just bringing in visitors. Don’t forget to also consider your content outside of your website such as social media posts. These now also play a huge role in your search optimisation success.

> see  How to Attract More Customers With Content Marketing by Russ Henneberry on Social Media Examiner.

Now create your plan of action:

  1. Optimise your online content with the keywords and content your converting customers like.
  2. Optimise your external campaigns with the keywords and content your converting customers like.
  3. Focus your time and spend on sources which convert the best with your audience.
  4. Target your converting customers by setting specific age, location ect. when advertising.
  5. Optimise your keywords for conversions not visitor numbers in Google Adwords.

If you need help putting this plan into to action or evaluating your data contact Toby today